Thursday, January 27, 2011

Dreams...

How often are we ridiculed for being dreamers?
How often are we told to ‘quit dreaming and get to work’?
For me hardly a day goes by without this occurrence. Still, at the end of it all, this is one admonishment I can never agree to.
We all dream. Be it with open eyes or in our sleep.
Our dreams are what define us. They give us the goals that we aspire to achieve. They give us the initiative to make the future a better place than the present.
Dreams make us more than animals, driven on instinct and guided by necessities.
I have always been a consummate dreamer.
My favorite way to pass time even today is to space out and watch where my mind takes me. I dream of the events in the past, the possibilities of the present and wonder what the future may hold.
Yet most of my dreams of late bring me nothing more than sorrow and despair.
Yet I dream on.
I seem to feel that though my dreams will never be realized, I may exist in the world I fabricate in my head, at peace. Unrealistic I know. But I am happy when I am dreaming; I do not want my dreams to end.
It is when I have to focus and return to the real world that I feel the pangs I so desperately try to conceal. I wish to go back to my beloved corner and dream the day away.
Dream my life away…
I do not know or care if there is something fundamentally wrong about being as obsessed as I am about a single unattainable future. I do not wish to think and consider matters by the hard light of logic and reason.
I just want to be at one with the perfection of my dreams… even if it is only in my mind… even if it is unreal.
My dreams define me. They make me who I am and show me where I stand. They tell me where I want to go. There is nothing more definitive about knowing what you really want than studying what your idle mind tells you… seeing where your careless thoughts lead you…
That holds true for everyone. Everyone except me…
While others can use their dreams to set targets and such like for themselves, my dreams are my own dark room where I can escape the world.
I cannot boast of having visions that may change the world. I cannot even say I have had dreams that may affect anyone. My dreams do not even help me set a course for my future. But I can proudly stand up and say that my dreams bring me a profound sense of relief.
So in a way everyone’s dreams are a good thing.
You may be a Martin Luther King, or you may be a career minded student needing to fix your goals, you may even be a lost soul that finds joy only in solitary musings like me. All of our dreams matter.
They make us human, they make us individuals. They set us apart from unintelligent life forms and from each other.
Our dreams are what create the difference between what we might have become and what we end up becoming…
So… dream on…

3 comments: