On the plus side… all you need to do is stay snug in your warm bed all day long.
The down side is… there’s nothing you can do save stay stuck in your bed all day long.
On the whole, I’d personally much rather have the option of being up and about if the fancy for exploration took me… or even sheer frustrating boredom, for that matter. So, it’s really quite a shame to be under the weather from the day you get to the destination of your mini vacation.
I mean, c’mon! Being less than totally fit as you make the frigging eleven hour journey to get to where you want to go is bad enough… why make the whole situation deteriorate on your arrival, and effectively get trapped in your own bed for the duration of your less than pleasant stay?
Vacations are supposed to be a nice change of pace from the hectic schedule that we constantly race to keep up with. It’s just that, I really doubt that they are supposed to bring people to an absolute and utter standstill.
I’ve been on vacations before… and lazed about. Only getting out of bed when I felt like it (or nature called)… going where I wished, doing what I wanted… and in short doing my very best to actively fall ill through outrageous enjoyment and carefree exuberance.
And, I have been ill before… usually when school or college was still in full swing, so there shouldn’t be any need to explain the reasons for my delight during those phases.
But being ill while on vacation… sucks!
The high point in your whole day is being woken up by a steaming pot of coffee, and being deluded by its seductive aroma, into thinking that you are ready to get back on your feet.
Not as much fun as you might think, since it’s immediately followed by the day’s low point. Taking two steps out of bed and having to stagger back into your sheets feeling weak, dizzy and more than just slightly feverish.
Try and imagine lying in a king sized bed (alone!) day after day, watching the sun rise and set… empty trays of nourishing meals accumulating in the corner, human companionship substituted by the poor replacement of a laptop with no internet connectivity.
Imagine watching through a foggy window, as the clouds roll down the gentle hill slopes, as the town’s sounds of merriment drift up to your sickroom… as the music of wide open spaces and unrestricted life taunts you in your misery.
Imagine the impositions and stringent rules of a prison, whose walls are made of your own physical weakness. And through the unbreakable bars of your captivity… you have a real time view of everything that you are being forced to miss in the world outside
There’s only so much to be said when you step into a situation as depressing as being unable to savor the surprises of an unexplored new roost, as a result of ungovernable circumstances. And the small part of it that isn’t paraphrased by the string of symbols found at the top of the keyboard is childishly simple to pen down… and empathize with.
“I want to go home!”
My own views of this piece can be compressed into two words... "Uninspired" and "Unimaginative".
ReplyDeleteget well soon so tht u can njoy ur vacation :)
ReplyDeletethis is terrible reading it is pain!never seen such a drop in teh writing.........just terrible,
ReplyDeleteanyways wouldn't it be 'savour'-there's a typo there-a1
owe a sorry for the ridiculous comment! that 'a1' is me.found ur blog on the suggested ones.this one's mine.http://pennmarks.blogspot.in/
ReplyDeletedo take a look.i am selfishly using ur blog's popularity to gain some of mine.honestly. nice blog.
Right... well, I agree about the crappiness of the piece and I apologize. I'll be sure to check out your blog though.
ReplyDelete