The whispering of the soft wind,
Was all there was to be heard,
That and the rustling of the dead leaves
Which gently stirred as it blew.
Haunting, sweet, hypnotizing
Singing a ballad from ages past,
Tales we would never understand…
Sending a shiver down my spine…
As I stood alone in the graveyard
The night was dark… pitch black
Especially here… in this place
On a time when even the moon was gone
The only visible thing was the white of the stone.
Starkly in contrast to the black behind it,
The darkness all around it… surrounding it
It stood out on this moonless cloudy night,
When neither the stars nor the moon were there
And I, stood and stared at it,
Transfixed… in the middle of the graveyard
The Gravestone stood gaunt and pale
In a row with so many more
It’s white texture the only thing,
That was different from the shadows all around
It was new… fresh
There were engravings on it no doubt.
The last respects of a loving family…
Showing their affections… showing their care
Capturing an entire life, in one line
And I felt the irony of it…
Standing lost in thought in a graveyard.
Some stones were new, and some old.
Some cracked and yellowed with age
Some covered with vines
All had this one thing in common…
Someone had always tried to preserve… something
Preserve a lifetime’s worth of events…
Within a single engraved line.
A line set in cold hard stone
And strangely… it had worked…
It made me wonder… here in the graveyard, all alone.
As the souls had passed away they had been alive still
In the memories of their peers, their family
But with time, even they had perished…
Like a footprint on sand, that gets blown away eventually…
The memories were lost.
But here… the one line about them remained…
A voice out of history, saying that they too had once been
Hard to hear… harder to understand…
Their voices filled this silent graveyard…
I lay down my bouquet at the foot of the stone,
And left the way I had come
The quietness now buzzing in my ears, filing my mind
I passed many more graves… all standing still
Like silent watchers from the past…
Portals to regain a time that was no more
And they all had a tale to tell… if only we would listen
The story of the one who rested below them…
But nobody now, wished to know…
Their progeny was gone… also into the void
Just the stones remained… their lives captured in them…
And so, I left the graveyard… and the sagas it recited.
I know I know... a weird one... :D
ReplyDeletehad to check "entertaining" but what I'd been looking for was a "profound" tab. It was quite intense. This experience always is.
ReplyDeleteThank you...
ReplyDeleteI know, but the "profound" is really inapplicable to most of what I write, so this is all we have...
Awesome. Probably the best poem you have written.
ReplyDeleteThanks :)
ReplyDelete