To stand upon a burnt heath
And see what the war has wrought
To know in your heart that all is lost
That you can do but naught
To watch the pebble plummet down
Tumbling through the air
Speeding toward the crevice floor
And all you can do is, stare
To see a friend breathe his last,
Holding on to your hand,
Remembering saying ‘it will be alright’
Seeing the promise, turn to sand
To watch the green sea, swell and foam
As you struggle to stay afloat
Knowing, the chance of deliverance
Was nothing if not remote
To bear the pain day and night
Of helplessness leeching your soul
Being made to feel in every waking hour
That the world might swallow you whole
Be it in the face of certain defeat,
Or when our hopes meet their end
Helplessness is always a feeling
That’s waiting around the bend
Deep in us all, a realization dawns
We perceive the frailty of our lives
It is then that all our empty bravado
Twist in our sides like knives
Be it when faced with great disasters,
Or a major hurdle we need to jump
Even when crossed in love and hate
Our powerlessness makes us slump
We are helpless in this wide world,
And the universe where it exists
Poor creatures of blood and bones
Our fate has bound our wrists
I feel helpless to just get out of bed,
My fate seems to rule my day
In spite of what I might attempt to do
My actions never have a say
Only in flashes does this gloom withdraw
And I feel the world at my feet
Empowered to do whatever I want
My destiny itself, to cheat
All in all though it’s a dark world I see
For me and the entire human race
We all struggle, weak and feeble
Being consumed by helplessness
Needless to say, a reflection of how I feel... :/
ReplyDelete