A single empty space, amidst the rows of text,
That I observe, my thoughts perplexed
I know not why or how or when
One of my only friends, have been annexed.
Long days I spent, gathering the tomes,
My wealth and energy spent
Row by row my collection grew,
My wine was their pages’ scent.
I read them all and loved each word,
I caressed their shivering spines,
And now I stand where one had been
And I miss her misplaced lines.
She was perhaps taken from me,
I lost her like a child’s toy
Or a Paris maybe had entered my home,
And removed her to a distant Troy.
Perhaps she’s borrowed and will return,
Perhaps this parting shall end
One day she’ll grace my home again,
And her throne again ascend.
The dusty patch of where she stood,
Beckons to me today,
I miss my lost love whose abrupt leave
Renders my colored world gray.
I may never see her again,
I may never know where she went,
She eloped in search of a better place,
And I wish that her time is well spent.
Farewell then, my fleeing prisoner,
As you seek to escape my reach
But let you and the one who took you away
Grant me one wish, I beseech
Remember me fondly, for all the time we shared
Forget not your first home,
Of the first time, when you were read
And your memories among your fellow tomes.
An attempt to compose an elegy. Next up... an ode.
ReplyDeletewhether elegy i didn't see btu just went reading by.....the thoughts were greatly expressed!
ReplyDeleteThanks
ReplyDelete